Thursday, June 5, 2008

Blowin' in the Wind

Wowee! Wild and Windy!!! This is starting to remind me of the Azores. Well, at least the windy part.

I am looking out the window, watching my neighbor's carport flapping to beat the band, as our 102-year-old Granny would say, waiting for it to break its moorings and come crashing through our bedroom window. Oh, wait, that's not going to happen until later. Sometime after bedtime, I'm guessing. That way it can kill us in our sleep.

Surprise! Here comes FedEx. YES! It's sorta like Christmas when the FedEx truck shows up. You never know what you're gonna get. I run to the door and throw it open, only to have the wind rip it right off its hinges. The FedEx lady is nowhere in sight, and even worse, no evidence of a package. Huh?!

Oh, look! There she goes! "STOP!" I shout. But it's too late. She is Gone With the Wind, helped along, no doubt, by a vicious tail wind. But where's my package? Another look around, and behold! It's been swept off the porch, down the sidewalk, and across the yard, where it is finally stopped by Nellie, our little red Cavalier, valiantly standing guard in the driveway.

Well, I guess I better go catch it before it sails off again. I take off across the porch and the yard, and...Success! I retrieve a small bubble-wrapped package with my name on it. I can't wait to see what's inside! I bring it in the house, and the guys gather 'round. We peel it open, and there inside, is...a free sample of tick and flea killer for the dog! I shoulda let him chase it down.

1 comment:

sterling river said...

Hey Marytoo, You didn't say if you even HAVE a dog, but anyway that is a funny story and how irritating it must have been - that is some wind you Texans are dodging!