Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Onion Pie

YUM! I think onions might be my very favorite food, and Onion Pie is one of my very favorite recipes.

I love pot luck dinner after church on Sundays. It is the all-around perfect opportunity to try out a dubious recipe on a crowd of willing tasters. The tasters get to try something new, and if it isn't any good, the cook (and her family) aren't committed to eating it for the rest of the week. So it's my big chance to try out a recipe I'm not too sure about, without any repercussions.
~~~~~
Onion Pie
onions, sliced, lots
cheese, grated, some
pepper, as you like it
1/4 c. milk
double pie crust

Preheat oven to 400. Put one crust in deep dish pie plate. Fill pie crust halfway with sliced onions. Top with a layer of grated cheese. Sprinkle pepper to taste. Fill up crust to the top. Top with more grated cheese. Pour milk all over pie filling. Put other crust on pie. Pinch edges closed and poke holes in the top. Bake 40-45 minutes. That's it.
~~~~~
This definitely fell in the category of "recipes I might not be too sure about," but...it's easy, and it has lots of onions, and in my book, that's enough to make it good. Not everyone around here subscribes to that philosophy though, and lots of them wouldn't even want to try it. Well, to be honest none of them would try it.

So I made it for potluck one Sunday, and it was the Belle of the Ball! I had the happiest of surprises to discover how many closet onion-lovers are out there. I took my dish home empty of every last crumb, and it is now a staple on the monthly pot luck menu.

And did I mention, the first time I brought it, in addition to being just plain GOOD, it provided some seriously funny moments masquerading as an apple pie on the dessert table!

2 comments:

sterling river said...

wow! this makes me glad that we just got a food processor that slices onions in an instant - we've been eating lots of fried potatoes with onions. I'm gonna do this pie on Friday, Papa will flip over it. Yeehaw!

Marytoo said...

Today's the day! I hope he likes it! Do you like onions?