Friday, August 15, 2008

The Case Against Rubbernecking

In case you ever wondered what's wrong with rubbernecking, let me tell you.

Yesterday there was an accident involving a motorcycle on the interstate. Not just anywhere on the interstate. Picture one of those Dr. Seuss-type mix master arrangements.

The accident took place on the bottom level, and while traffic was clogging up down there, what with the emergency vehicles and all, traffic was clogging up up there, what with the rubberneckers and all.

One of those rubberneckers was seriously interested in having a really good look, so he leaned waaaay over, the better to see you, my dear. So very far he leaned over that he fell over. And splatted on the pavement right next to the startled EMT who was treating the had-been motorcycle rider.

R.I.P.

2 comments:

sterling river said...

Wow, that is one major glitch or miscalculation. My whole entire life I have never looked at an accident - even if the traffic is at an almost standstill as I drive past. I do not want any images in my head that can't be forgotten! And for sure I wouldn't be DYING to get a glimpse - what a maroon, as Bugs would say.

50s Housewife said...

Oh my goodness! Truth is really stranger than fiction isn't it?