Thursday, December 18, 2008

M-M-M-Menu!

M is coming home! And he has his menu requests in. It is, surprisingly, a long list. And whatever M wants, M will have.

If someone had asked me, I would have assured him (or her!) that M does not really like my food. Actually, I would have said that about all of my kidlets. And my grandkidlets. And my Man. There's nothing quite like years of rebellion and refusal at the dinner table to put one on the defensive, but, to give credit where credit is due, or in this case not to give credit where none is due, I am not at all what one would call a "chef", though to go by the evidence, I have been at least "adequate."

So imagine my astonishment when I got a list of 21 favorite dishes he wants to have while he is home! He will be here barely two weeks, so I'm not sure we will have time to eat all that food, but we will give it our best shot.

Later, when reading the list to D, I had my second surprise when she seconded the sentiment! Now that all of my kidlets have left the best part of my life behind, I have ample occasion to wonder if they were doing any more than just passing through on their way to the future? Did any of it really "take"? Frequently I would have to say not, but then just as frequently I am astounded to find that they really were listening after all... which I guess is why one should keep on keeping on, even in the face of all seeming aridity and disenchantment. The unfathomable mysteries of life, and parenthood, are endless....

Well, M will be here tomorrow, followed by D a day or two later, so I suppose I should go and awaken the pantry and the kitchen out of their slumber. Cooking three (or at least two) meals every day will seem like a marathon after our recent empty-nested style of cooking only once every day or two.

D has asked that we not start eating until she arrives.

6 comments:

sterling river said...

What were the requests??! You all are in for a great time!

sterling river said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marytoo said...

Menu:
steak and onion pie
lasagna
potato soup
cassoulet
hamburgers
stir fry
'pioneer dinner'
Italian chicken/potatoes
roast chicken
turkey pot roast
roast beef
meat loaf
chicken sandwiches
Cajun stew
beef stew
bean soup
pinto beans of all things!
cheeseburger casserole
Parmesan potatoes
Dutch baby pancake


I think something is missing but I can't figure out what.

. said...

"If someone had asked me, I would have assured him (or her!) that M does not really like my food. Actually, I would have said that about all of my kidlets. And my grandkidlets. And my Man."

And HOW many times did I tell you that? I'm not even going to get started on all the other things I say around here...

Instead of assuring yourself of these things, you should listen to us every once in a while :)

10 hrs!

jlbo1981 said...

Ah I love the request lists. And the house smells and bustle of all our kidlets chattering their stories with excitement. Enjoy your full house of hustle and bustle, and the delight of your kidlets actually wanting "mom's cooking". LOL

Mary said...

21 dishes!!! Oh, and thank you for the comment on my latest post. Maybe Bride's Magazine will have some interesting "dishes" for your family!