Though the Man of the House has been down with a mini-version of the flu or something the last couple of days, he was all set to suit up and get back to work this morning; but dark and early, before we were even up, the phone rang. It was our first client, 25 miles away, with the weather report at her house: torrential rain. Shortly after that we had a call from our next client, 25 miles beyond the first one...same song, second verse.
I got the picture and decided to call and re-schedule the whole day's calendar, though I did wait an hour or two, until I thought they might be out of bed. It can be an exercise in insanity, trying to schedule clients in a way that maximizes time and gas usage; fortunately, everyone on today's business is flexibly retired, so it was easy to move the whole schedule, intact, to another day. Hopefully a dry day.
So my Man ends up at home, on his fourth day of leisure, our fourth day at home alone together. Wow, I don't know when might be the last time that has ever happened. "We" have lots to do:
- the usual household chores ~ never any vacation from those;
- pumpkin cookies to make ~ with only two of us here, the vast majority of those, enough to last all year, are going in the freezer;
- red chicken soup, an old family favorite, for lunch;
- radio talk shows and tv, of course;
- a week's worth of laundry to fold, and the once-a-month (or less) ironing;
- books to read;
- a constantly ringing phone to answer ~ weather like this suddenly makes everyone think about heating up the fireplace;
- oh, and tonight, NCIS! It is M's favorite show, the only one we watch with regularity, and we watch it with IM in place, the better to bond with M.