Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A Book That Changed My Life


I am an avid reader.  Books are on my list of Top Ten Things I Have To Have.  They may even be on my list of Top One Things I Have To Have.  Close, in any event.

Fiction, non-fiction, biography, sci-fi, children's, history, religion, classics, I read them all.  Well, except horror.  I don't like horror.  Some books are just bubble gum for my brain; some are seriously thought-provoking; some are dry and informational; but the only One that has fundamentally changed my life is the Bible.  There is much to be learned from books, even some of the more unlikely ones, but every life lesson I have learned from any other book I have found as well in the Bible.

I have always been a seeker, something my mom apparently recognized, because she bought me my own Bible when I was around the age of five or six.  This was long before the days of special kids' Bibles in 14 different versions, and what I got was good ole' hardcore King James in a faux leather white cover with print so fine I almost had to have a microscope to read it.  But I was not deterred.  The day she gave it to me I sat myself right down on the kitchen floor and started in Genesis 1:1.  When bedtime rolled around I was almost done with the first chapter, so I was allowed to stay where I was until I finished.

That's how my Bible reading began.    I wish I could say I read it faithfully every day.  I could say that, I guess, but it might not quite be truthful, which kinda goes against the whole concept.  But I do get it in more days than not, so there is that.

How my Bible reading ends...I haven't come that far.  So far, so good.

No comments: